Profile Picture

.fbx file imports without the materials - urgent help needed.

Posted By sbaerman 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

.fbx file imports without the materials - urgent help needed.

Author
sbaerman
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi Icloner`s,

maybe this has been discussed before, but I have an .fbx file that I am trying to import. The structure (mesh?) imports fine low poly 10.000 polies, but there is no material. Now the .fbx file comes with 200MB size, so they seem to be packed in there, but somehow it does not import into 3dxchange. When I click on them they appear without diffuse map, without bump specular ....

Anyone knows, what that may be, assuming the export settings from 3Ds-Max which is the software I am using ?

Thanks

Steffen

Machines :
MSI Gaming Laptop, I7, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1 TB HD
Acer Predator Helios 300 I7 10750H, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2070

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 43 minutes ago
Check in the texture/material section of 3DX that the strength slider is not at zero. I often have materials come in with strength set to low, or opacity set at zero. It is a bit surprising when you get a white or invisible object/avatar on import!Wink

If that is not the answer, double click each texture channel box and reload the texture. The model should have all its UV's, so that will work fine.
sbaerman
sbaerman
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Thanks Rampa, for coming back so quickly. I just have one file to import the model the .fbx. There is nothing I can import extra....

i checked the materials, by selecting them. All Diffuse, Opacity .... squares are greyed out with a Attention sign in there. Opacity is set to max for all materials. Seems that it really not getting it.

I asked the guy who built the models to export and embed them with ASCII and FBX 2012. Maybe that does the trick. 

If someone has more ideas : I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Steffen

Machines :

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
If you haven't done so, you could try to view the FBX file using the viewer option from Autodesk FBX converter to see if the materials show up. This also allows conversion to other FBX formats.

This is the link to the latest version of the converter: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909.

Usually an FBX model has the actual .FBX file with the mesh and the a .FBM directory that contains the textures. If the directory isn't there, it's usually created the first time the main FBX file is loaded. The large file that you have needs to be unpacked and that doesn't seem to work. Do you have a .FMB folder after loading the object in 3DXchange? That's where the textures will be. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

sbaerman
sbaerman
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ah well no. I just have the .fbx file no seperate folders. That maybe the trick...

Machines :

Alien Maniac
Alien Maniac
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)

I updated 3dxP and had not used it until now. I used it to import about 30 fbx models and have discovered the same problem. No Textures imported but they are shown and I can add them manually ok from the unpacked zip dir. I have never had this problem before but now since the update I do. So is this a bug on some systems only? like IC 6.5 was?

MSI GE66 Raider, Intel 10th Gen, I7, SC Turbo to 5.3 GHZ, 240HZ, 64GB 3300 Ram,  2x 1TB M2 SSD Drives, NVIDIA GPU RTX 2070/8GB, 55" Sony 4K Monitor  External data drives total 7 TB. and an AUDIO Studio Recording system.

Reading This Topic