Need tips going from Poser to iClone6

Posted By eternityblue 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I have a bunch of Nursoda's Poser characters I would like to use in iClone6:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vendor/Nursoda

I have Poser 2014 Game Dev, so I can output Collada and FBX models. I have seen YouTube tutorials using DAZ3D, but none using Poser. Anyhow. I am not sure if the Poser FBX is up to snuff for iClone. Does anyone have experience with that? Should I use the Autodesk FBX converter instead? 

I wanted to know if anyone has experience with these particular characters from Poser to iClone, and what I need to know to convert them. I plan to buy 3DXchange ASAP, but I want to actually get some use out of the free conversions available, so avoiding trial and error is a big need for me. It may be a month before I can afford the license, and I'd love to at least get one or two characters into iClone before then.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

So, here is at least one model successfully imported, so I do know it is possible, just they don't contain standard phonemes and whatnot, so I will have to figure that out. Again, any tips are appreciated. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

And ok... I used two of my exports, one was a hit, a non-moving building, it looks great, better than it ever did really in Poser. And I tried the Fon character, I got it converted fine, but I didn't get the clothing attached correctly, so it doesn't move, and the head and details like that don't work. I'll learn, but at least now I know I can go from Poser to iClone ok. Yay! I'll also have to work on reducing the polygons before export, but I assumed that. It took the Fon character without complaints though. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, I can tell this is a hot topic Smile Anyhow, I figured it out, you export the FBX with Bake All Morphs OFF, and then at the next screen you add all the morphs you need. Also save as 2011 Binary, anyhow, it is working great for me now. I was able to get the Kali character imported with all clothing and hair, animating well (I definitely need to go calibrate it better). One thing is the hair transparency texture needed to be inverted in Photoshop, and it looks pretty bad in closeups using depth of field, the transparency breaks up the blur. Can that be fixed? I am guessing yes. Anyhow, now iClone is complete for me, I just need to buy 3DXchange now. For anyone wondering is Poser and iClone are happy together, I can say with a definite yes. I'm very pleased with the results so far. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Thanks for posting. I just got Poser 11, which also exports FBX. For the first time in years, Poser doesn't crash on me, so there's hope (I started with Poser before iClone). For the hair,  try to adjust the Alpha Threshold (Modify panel => Texture tab).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, I figured out the hair issue Smile Right now, with Gave Dev 2014 version, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make some morphs constant either exported from Poser or importing into 3DXchange. Basically I have two options: export all morphs, which bakes in everything, but doesn't allow anything to be available in 3DX morph list, or select the morphs to bake, which gives me the settings in the morph list but no way in 3DX to set constant morphs to control character shapes as opposed to blinks etc. Is there any way in 3DX to set constant morph values?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

There is a roundabout way I can think of using the Expression Editor, by creating a Custom morph set. Usually that is done for facial expressions, but it will work for any set of morphs.

First you will need to set up your Poser character as non-standard human avatar with the morphs you want to control.

Assuming the morphs are exposed, open the Expression Editor.

If you check the Custom tab of the Expression Editor you see six groups of four mouse positions (Up, Down, Left, Right). What you will do is select a mouse position and then set the value of each morph to your liking. When done, click Set, which will remember the settings of that mouse position. For future use you can save a profile which will retain the morph settings.

Export the character as iAvatar.

In iClone, load the character and then open the Face Puppet. Look for the 3DX_Custom profile and select the one that contains your morph setting. You will see that the eyes are selected. Leave that selection. (Something needs to be selected on the face, and their value is set to 1, so it's unnoticeable.) 

Do a preview and move your mouse to reveal the effect of the morph set. Assuming it's Up, moving the mouse up will change the shape.

Record the morph animation, which will be in the expression track. If you don't want it animated, simply add a break near the end of the Expression clip where the morph will be recorded and delete the beginning of the clip.

You will have one or two frames left, which you can move to the beginning of the timeline. You can save the morph effect by using a Collect Clip and save as a Motion Plus. Provided the character has the actual morph settings included, applying the Motion Plus file will activate them. 

I tried this with a CC character, but it should work for any avatar.

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, actually I figured that out as well Smile  Right now my big issue is I have items that use morphs to fix skirts and hair and stuff. So the face morph thing won't fix that. But coming from dealing with the tiny little frame squares from Poser is so nice, and I'm not constantly adding in keyframes by accident that need to be found and deleted. Poser is great and I am not knocking it, but it is not as focussed on animation and it shows. iClone is really intuitive and excepting some things like not having control over all morphs which is killing some of my character's outfits, it is going well. I won't be able to use everything from iClone, but I'll also be able to make more characters myself in iClone anyway. 

I'm doing OK converting stuff, I will have to do some aggressive polygon reduction though. Some things like Daz Millenium Dragon I hoped to use I may just replace with native iClone stuff, there are impressive models with good animations that would save me loads of time, and they aren't too expensive. I'm excited. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hirospot
hirospot
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
@eternityblue
It may not be necessary for you any more now but here is my old report for Poser Model Facial Morph transfer to iClone.
I'm very sorry the report was made for iClone 5.5. 
Report:  Tested Poser Model Facial Morph and iClone New MotionPlus: reported 2013.8.12 
              DemoVideo
Thank you,
Hiro
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

To be clear: the procedure I describe will work for any type of body morph not just facial morphs. Clothing and hair don't have morphs in iClone so that wouldn't convey as far as I know.

Reading This Topic