Profile Picture

3DX - Not covered in the User Guide > How to imoort unrigged FBX with poly Groups, or OBJ witrh...

Posted By Dream Cutter 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

3DX - Not covered in the User Guide > How to imoort unrigged FBX with...

Author
Dream Cutter
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
With the objective of importing a modeled vehicle wth pivotable parts, and exporting to IClone,  it appears OBJ import into 3dExchanegPipelien 6  drops the material assignments (texturemaps etc).  So I try FBX with this format the materials make it across but the poly groups dont giving me a single mesh that can not be sub-propped. Using  I verify my obj.s have textures, and fbx have groups & material zones defined.  So  how do you import a grouped, non-rigged 3d model with texture, bump and specular intact?  

Stay inspired.

Dream Cutter
Dream Cutter
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

sw00000p (5/28/2016)
Dream Cutter (5/27/2016)
With the objective of importing a modeled vehicle wth pivotable parts...

Pivot-able parts = Sub Props...

So  how do you import a grouped, non-rigged 3d model with texture, bump and specular intact?

First.... You must understand that "Something GROUPED" and "Poly Groups" are two totally different things.
 • Groups are "Separate pieces" bound to a group.
 • Poly Groups are "Polygon Groups on a mesh."

You can NOT create "Pivot - able parts" on a ONE PICE MESH.... using "Poly Groups."
For pivot-able parts....External software.....(Break the mesh apart)
.... LINK the various vehicle parts together.

Example:
Select one of your "Poly Groups" and Detach it to an element. (It's now a separate piece).
Repeat for ALL "Poly Groups"...

POOF!

Texturing a Single Mesh with multiple textures 
Requires a....(Multi Sub Object Material)

The "Poly groups" provide material id's.
 • Textures are placed according to mat id's.
Now, ALL textures show up as desired!Smile

Kind Regards,
sw00000p Cool

Thanks Swoop. I do have seperate groups - at least they are in the UV tool. Perhaps I misnomered or such.  What I have is a sperate UV island and mesh group, unwelded. I supose thats more akin to zbrush subtools, merged.  Not a zb polygroup,  The using Ultimate Unwrap 3d I can convert materials to groups and vice versa and export s obj welded or unwelded, same w/ fbx but it doenst seem that IC 3DX likes to detect the groups.  Should I export each group sperate fbx and merge in 3DX so that its materials import intact?  A tedious work around is to import fbx, save each material , then the obg and load the saved material to each zone.

Stay inspired.

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 58 minutes ago
To put it very simply: if it shows up as one mesh (one item) in the scene tree in 3DXchange, then there is not much you can do. You can not combine different FBX files within 3DXchange, so you will need to create any object hierarchy outside of 3DXchange. 3DXchange does not recognize material groups as separate entities as far as I know, so any subdivision should be in the form of separate parts of the mesh.

BTW, import of OBJ files should maintain the textures as well. Safest is if all textures are in the same directory as the OBJ file or directly under it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Dream Cutter
Dream Cutter
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yep GROUP is a cause for confusion.  In the obj. the material reference file (.mtl) identified groups of verts in the overall mesh that are further divided by material assignments., and also materials.  Ome mesh defined by vert cooridinate, divided by (poly) group, divided into material (groups).  So I assumed its these polyl groups that IClone is seeking in the OBJ to be able to UNGREY the SUB-PROP on import. However, the OBJ group imported material (zones/groups what evah) are not recognized.  The reverse situation happens in FBX, materials recognized, groups not.  I believe the proper term in FBX spec is "Geometry Group" - why are these not recognized??

NOW what is the RL CAR TOOL is this the iCar thing here https://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/iClone/pack/iCar_BodyShop/Help_Mechanic_Tool_Kit.aspx
I figgured that was a akin to the max car rig mesh template or such.  Helping out converting VanishingPoint Poser models to IC.

Stay inspired.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Dream Cutter (5/27/2016)
With the objective of importing a modeled vehicle wth pivotable parts, and exporting to IClone,  it appears OBJ import into 3dExchanegPipelien 6  drops the material assignments (texturemaps etc).  So I try FBX with this format the materials make it across but the poly groups dont giving me a single mesh that can not be sub-propped. Using  I verify my obj.s have textures, and fbx have groups & material zones defined.  So  how do you import a grouped, non-rigged 3d model with texture, bump and specular intact?  

I have imported OBJ files many times and I am fairly sure that the material imported without issue. Please note that materials, for OBJ files, are stored in a separate file (MTL extension I think) which is automatically read when the OBJ file is imported. This means if you are copying the OBJ file you need to grab the corresponding MTL file.  

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Dream Cutter
Dream Cutter
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Since we enjoy sarcasism you should know this reply is so polite its a real pleasure to read, Mr Swoop. Without assumption, I could not provide context to my question easily but I know I am entering dangerous waters by offering that. May be it will sink... sheesh - this grey matter is getting denser not softer with age!  I do appreciate the iCar suggetion, that looks to be a fun way to animate cars.
I have no problem with FBX materials including texture references in fbx conversions to IClone. I am having a issue with 3DExchange recognizing mesh groupings, regardless whether textures are embeded or external.  However Animagic confirmed my assumption <ahhem> and effectivly answered what I was asking about FBX mesh groups.  Strange because other apps can extracxt the FBX mesh groups.  Also thanks Animagic about the himt on the textures, that was it the MTL and texture refrences needed to be in the same folder for the materials to be populated with the textures. 

Stay inspired.

Reading This Topic