Magix acquires Sony Vegas

Posted By wires 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
wires
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Good news for Vegas users. After Sony EOL'd it this year Magix have acquired it - and a few other Sony products - and intend to further develop it, as stated in this news report.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

JIX
JIX
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Interesting news!

I have those Sony products and I got some of Magix as well. So hopefully this will clean up my desktop a lil bit in future ...
Edited
8 Years Ago by JJJAM
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
thanks for the heads up -

Not sure what to think of this yet -  magix has seemed like a stable company and could use the upgrade in software -   but will sony give them the whole code and the secret sauce ?  will their relationship with hitfilm get better,  will their engineers keep up the quality sony engineers had ?  no dis to magix either,  it's just sony uses studio standard approaches in both audio and video

dunno,  could be an awesome thing,  or could be a "what have you done?!!" thing, could go either way,  magix has the ball,  now score!! lol BigGrin

might be a chance for iclone / crazy talk to partake in the marketing and make a direct export pipeline -  now how important that feature is wouldn't matter as much as all the publicity that will come with it :p    - between hitfilm, magix, and reallusion working together,  that could be a force to reckon with ,   now that all these other companies are doing that rental / cloud stuff -  and press will be on top of this,  could be a perfect storm scenario - especially with alembic in hitfilm.  Time to get forbes in here to write an article about it!! lol w00t

( oh yeah,  throw corel in that bratpack to cover photoshop )

Edited
8 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
ahh,  side note on this,  this is part of what Magix will be getting too, aside from the software -  

http://www.acidplanet.com/

a music community that have been around for ages using sony acid and distributing sounds / making sound packs -  as well as a venue to sell production music -  royalty free sample packs for production in music

there's more than just software in this,  there are several communities of artists that come with it

Edited
8 Years Ago by planetstardragon
rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have used Magix MusicMaker and their other audio production tools for about five years.

The Sony Vegas Pro actually started as an audio tool and migrated to video, never leaving behind the audio tools.  So this might be a good match, however support and training out of magix has always been half A##.  I've done some good work with Magix applications and I update each release. They are a bit too focused on more current music genre, which makes some projects a job for other music creation software.

To be honest,  I am sorry to hear this.  I have Hitfllm 2 and I understand HF4 has become a full range video application as Sony Vegas, except I dont' know about the audio.  
I use Sony Vegas to build and edit all AUDIO for my Iclone projects prior to embed in Iclone timeline. I do this because Sony Vegas memory management is far superior to Iclone. I do all the editing, compositing and rendering of video for internet with Sony Vegas. SV is my workhorse right behind Iclone.

I used the SOny Cinescore for more melodious music for awhile.  About the time I learned it well enough SOny just quit it like...Boom.  It became pretty well worthless in a day.
So, Sony selling off doesn't surprise me at all.  We really have to be on our toes don't we?  At  least they sold it instead of dropping it like a hot potato. LOL 

Sometime back the Fusion 4.5 was released free from Blackmagic after they bought it.  It is a professional tool rated higher than Sony Vegas, and even goes as far as Adobe Premier and After Effects combined.  Maybe, if I have to learn some new software I should start making inquiries.  The merging of audio, video, effects, titles, efficiently may be more difficult than I imagine at this point.  Sony Vegas Pro is still viable, but coming releases may become more consumer oriented product as most everything else from Magix.
Magix has just not been able to make a dent in professional applications for video or audio  * IMO.

IMO, Reallusion could be more of a factor in more professional ways...but currently computer memory management needs work.  There are still good workarounds, so I am not concerned for anything I am doing near term.  RL has really got my attention with the CC.  I'm loving it, and it isn't even close to what they are telling us it will be soon enough.

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

rampart (5/25/2016)
I have used Magix MusicMaker and their other audio production tools for about five years.

How would you rate MM against say Acid Pro (if you use it) or Vegas's audio?

The merging of audio, video, effects, titles, efficiently may be more difficult than I imagine at this point.  Sony Vegas Pro is still viable, but coming releases may become more consumer oriented product as most everything else from Magix.

IMO, Reallusion could be more of a factor in more professional ways...but currently computer memory management needs work.

I wouldn't mind if Magix modernise Sony AV family's UI and GUI
(which Sony somehow neglected for like 1 whole decade)
biggest downside, Magix bought Sony AV suite to cold-bench it, as in kill competition

In the long run, I do see RL adding next gen AV workflow to the iClone moviemaking toolset
"in-viewport object oriented" realtime AV studio plugins complete with VST and so on? Smile
audition everything we see/hear in realtime, Substance-like dynamic AV Post Effects
Popvideo is just a beginning, which could be integrated even further...

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Bellatrix
wires
wires
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Here's the Sony statement on the deal:

Catalyst Production Suite Remains with Sony for 
Professional Broadcast and Production Applications

Sony Creative Software (SCS) has sold the majority of its products to MAGIX Software GmbH.

SCS will remain a part of Sony Electronics and will continue to own and distribute its Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suites. These products will continue to be developed by Sony for professional broadcast and production applications.

By purchasing the full Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines from SCS, MAGIX is further cementing its position in the market and accelerating its international growth as a leading creator of video, music, and photo-editing software and apps in Europe and the U.S.

“The MAGIX team has a unique expertise in software and will breathe new life into these storied media titles for professionals and consumers,” said Alec Shapiro, president, Sony’s Professional Solutions Americas. “Our suite of Catalyst products has carved a unique niche in the production community. We will focus on developing these technologies and making them even more powerful workflow solutions for our professional broadcast and production customers.”

MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers to ensure a seamless end user experience. The company has also hired several former SCS employees.

“These products from Sony Creative Software are the perfect addition to our portfolio,” said MAGIX CEO Klaus Schmidt. “We have already strengthened our presence in the United States in order to propel development and sales. This autumn, we plan to release new versions of the video-editing programs Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, which are heavily oriented toward the customer requirements of today.”

The Sony Creative Software team will continue to maintain a presence in the Middleton/Madison, Wis., area. These will be working on Sony's Catalyst software suite.

And a statement from Magix:

"We purchased the Sony Creative Software products, including the full Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines. We'll continue to innovate and support all SCS customers who purchased products from Sony. We already plan new versions of Vegas Pro and Movie Studio this autumn. The SCS Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suite will continue to be developed by Sony for professional broadcast and production applications."

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

wires (5/26/2016)

The company has also hired several former SCS employees.

We'll continue to innovate and support all SCS customers who purchased products from Sony. We already plan new versions of Vegas Pro and Movie Studio this autumn.

[/quote]

Pheww. That's good news to existing users then.

And thanks for the heads up too.

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Seriously,  Musicmaker is a very simple to use program with alot plugins for the money.  However, the music loops and such are mostly modern day genre.  If you build with loops you can pretty well forget it, if you need classical based or melodious music.  If you are serious keyboard musician no composer skills I would probably go with Steinberg, pro-tools, reason or similar applications.  Magix has a sister company called Catooh, with lots of loops and such.  I 've never found it a good resource.

I plan to really watch and see what goes down.  It took over a year for me to develop proficiency with Sony Vegas Pro.  I have the Sony audio applications, but I never use them. I just use VP to clipping and editing of close or finished audio tracks. The SV renderer has been very adequate for internet video of my projects.

I did read some blurbs mentioning the Hitfilm 4 is as serious a tool now as Sony Vegas Pro with built in plugins that would cost hundreds of dollars otherwise from 3rd parties. 
So, it may be a better path...if audio can be as carefully edited and managed within the application.  Audio is too big a part of working with IClone, IMO.

I was wondering when an update was coming for my SV pro, now I know it isn't coming from Sony.  I suspect, if Magix is smart they will release an update at a very attractive price to stop mass exodus of Sony Vegas Pro users.  

At this point, it is wait and see.--- forget about the discussion points of qualified support and tutorials as you had with Sonycreative.  I have never received a support response in over five years with Magix music applications.  Magix tutorials suck from all I have read and viewed.  Basic stuff for the most part, with the push of marketing. It would appear their tutorials are intended to explain the applications along the lines of what a potential buyer would be interested to know before buying.

If RL had bought the Sony applications... I would be excited at the prospects.  Especially, the timeline... 

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart
rampart
rampart
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't know what I did to double post... I cannot delete

Edited
8 Years Ago by rampart

Reading This Topic