Profile Picture

Clarification on CC characters and distribution for games.

Posted By cly3d 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Clarification on CC characters and distribution for games.

Author
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi,
Anyone know what the official stance is on this? 
"Mass Distribution Right
To get the free mass distribution rights for using Reallusion content, or 3rd-party content, including game titles, apps, online services or kiosk, developers and vendors must first register their game or application information with Reallusion. In order to receive the license agreement letter, please provide your project title, website links and information to marketing@reallusion.com for Reallusion to evaluate."

What exactly does Reallusion mean by this? It's very vague, mentioning "for Reallision to evaluate"
This means, in theory, one could end up paying the export license costs on animations, models, accessories etc... only to then be told by Reallusion that the game / app /service failed their evaluation.

With Daz it's straighforward - $500 for Daz owned characters and use it in your game(s) no questions asked.
Does anyone have any ideas on interpretation of this?

Also I wanted to clarify - for $69 export license is for CC essential morphs only, and not for the two base free models (Natalie and the other one)?
http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/iClone/pack/CC_Essential_Morph_Skin/default.aspx

Regards

Edited
8 Years Ago by cly3d
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Not sure but I am guessing that the first is basically a condition user which Reallusion can review your game/application to ensure that Reallusion's content is not associated with any work that could harm Reallusion's image...that would be my guess. 

The information about DAZ is interesting. When I contacted them to determine if DAZ content could be re-sold in the RL Marketplace, they informed me that any content made from DAZ base figures (such as Genesis, Genesis 2 or Genesis 3 figures) cannot be resold in RL Marketplace because the content contains DAZ copyright meshes. Since all figures in DAZ are based on these bases (or DAZ derivatives of these bases) basically any figures (except completely custom figures) are not allow to be resold under the EULA. They never mentioned to me the $500 option. Maybe the $500 option is allowed for games and/or application which use the DAZ content but not re-selling of any content based on DAZ meshes.   

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

". Maybe the $500 option is allowed for games and/or application which use the DAZ content but not re-selling of any content based on DAZ meshes.    "

This is correct, it's for games and one has to make sure every precaution has been taken so that the Daz models are not exposed to being copied or extracted.
That's just the point - after you pay for a license you should be able to use it for commercial purposes ( games for example, not reselling derivatives) without having to second guess if your game / output meets arbitrary evaluation.

Think if Adobe or Daz wanted to evaluate your output - before you put it out, after you paid for the license to do so.
This part needs to be clarified, imho.
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@cly3d: The free models can be exported without need for an export license.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

cly3d
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you for clarifying that.
Best Regards
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, I didn't want to miss the deal that's currently on, so I bought the Essential morphs and skins pack.
I couldn't get used to the "Stern" look all the characters have in iclone. Even the female models look mildly 'angry' lol.
An iclone character approaching the look of the attached image would be a gamechanger.,,

Let's hope the additional sliders help in softening their features a bit more especially the harsh lips.

Btw, does anyone know if higher poly count models are available for CC?
The eyelids/shoulders are too rough for high end visualization even in today's game engines.
(of course I know there are designed for iclone) but, just wondering if iclone will make them available as an option,
 http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/960x1248/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/e/c/echo_00.jpg
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

.>>1. Move and Turn the edges to "Shape" the mesh as desired.
If modeled correctly... it WILL display the desired look..."

I'm not really a mesh hacker, if I was it'd be a snap to create models from scratch and rig them myself or though mixamo. But in anycase, yes, ill have to export the fbx and try and smooth it

>>
Not vague, at all. What part of it you don't understand."
what part of I don't understand "please provide your project title, website links and information to marketing@reallusion.com for Reallusion to evaluate." 
did you not undertand? Wink

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Maybe I am reading between the lines but it seems that you need to provide information about the end game/product but not any actual content. Thus you can apply for the evaluation PRIOR TO buying the Essential Pack (or any other content)...but maybe I am just reading between the lines.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I already bought the pack a couple of hours ago, and must say... even though I'm no real artist, the plethora of customization options really does make for more pleasing faces.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e0ad59ea-3b40-4338-b165-0045.jpg

I'll send them an email, today being Monday.

Best Regards.
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

and her she is, rendered off the laptop in about 20 seconds. I haven't done any changes yet, transparency on eyelashes, skin material lighting etc.
But looks very encouraging to this coming out of CC and iclone.
If Reallusion make available higher poly versions of the CC character base, it will open up a whole new arena for us.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cc47a417-1152-4f98-93b1-79d2.jpg

Reading This Topic