Indigo plugin future

Posted By davide445 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
davide445
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Seriously interested in starting my iClone adventure, concerned about the availability of an high quality renderer.
Knowing PBR is coming with v7 mean waiting for months, the much voted Octane plugin is still to be decided and also will limit your hw choice just when with next GPU generation there will be a exceptional choice btw AMD and Nvidia new efficient architectures.
IMHO Indigo was not well presented (from game engine to unbiased render there is a huge gap, that needed to be explained better), but v4 is here and on my 4 years old midrange GPU is x10 faster than on CPU, licensing is also more generous. No unbiased render will be ever fast as a game engine, but animations will become achievable (with some GPU prerequisite).
So my question is if there is news about the Indigo plugin being evolved or not to follow 4.0 release of Indigo.
If not this is a serious drawback IMHO.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Simple advice... Ignore Indigo for video.

It's interesting, and fun, and does a nice job for stills.  But it is simply not practical for video, and iClone's plug-in compounds the problems that are inherent to Indigo.
Even with the new version of Indigo - still in beta - I don't see that fundamentally improving any time soon.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
8 Years Ago by justaviking
davide445
davide445
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

That's in fact my main reason of concern.
iClone render is fast but his quality is really a compromise. For some outputs will be perfect, for others not acceptable.
Indigo 3.x render is beautiful but really slow, compared to a game engine render.
Indigo 4.0 will be IMHO not slower than any other unbiased GPU renderer, still slower than a game engine but faster than any CPU based unbiased render.
And his output will be the the best achievable right now, waiting for PBR engine, that will be still worse but will greatly extend the opportunities where is simply enough.
I simply want to have this choice, I did't find the reason to invest in a pipeline that has a wonderful UI, but can export only mid quality videos.
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I would like to try out the indigo changes I dont know if the new plugin will be compatible with iclone though .. if reallussion is going to be adapting it so personally I would contact support about this to see if they are upgrading the plugin.   The slowness is compounded with how iclone works in general.  I am not bothered by the gigs of data it creates I have a pc setup to compensate for that, but it should render faster then it is but its bottlenecked by iclone I guess I dont know.  I only know that if the iclone bottleneck is not fixed it probably will be unrealistic and speeds will still be overly horrendous even though in theory the gpu should be faster... I would really like to use the indigo plugin if they upgrade it and fix iclone and how it works with it a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I know I'm repetitive on this, but the "iClone-half" of the problem that I keep harping on is this...

iClone writes out the *full* scene for each and every frame.  ALL the meshes and ALL the textures.  Everything, for each and every frame.

The Indigo files can easily accommodate a "shared" folder for things that don't change.  So something like the terrain or a building should only be exported once.  That would greatly increase the export speed and greatly reduce the disk space requirements.  Even if something change once every second, you could easily use the same mesh/textures 30 times instead of exporting 30 copies of the same thing.  I've hand-edited Indigo files and proven this to be true, so this is not theory, it works.

So today he have the double-hit of long rendering times compounded by unnecessarily long and verbose export times.

I hope the new Indigo release makes better use of the GPU, and I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not counting on it.  Even so, Reallusion should fix their have of the problem independent of any rendering improvements that may or may not materialize.

There, I've said it again.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
8 Years Ago by justaviking
davide445
davide445
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the clarification, really appreciated.
Interested to know if someone from Reallusion want comment.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I was testing a bit, and discovered that if iClone cannot find Indigo, it will prompt you to locate it. I located the IndigoRT 4 beta, and it associated and worked just fine. You could just as easily associate it with the full Indigo.
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
The ideal situation IMO is if RL gives us all three options. Native PBR renderer, Indigo & Octane. Plus an updated plugin that is more efficient. It shouldn't be a debate about mutual exclusivity. Lets have 'em all, like everyone else. Smile
davide445
davide445
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Being RL a SME need to prioritize his resources usage,
IMHO make more sense to fix a plugin they already have than start developing a new one.
PBR is on the way so we can only wait on that.
pmaina
pmaina
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
davide445 (4/29/2016)
Being RL a SME need to prioritize his resources usage,
IMHO make more sense to fix a plugin they already have than start developing a new one.
PBR is on the way so we can only wait on that.

...and here I was, coming back to add Pixar's Renderman to the queue. BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin Its free for hobbyists and affordable for commercial use.

I think RL has expert programmers that can hook us up with no sweat. From experience, I know that in software, fixing 3rd party compatibility issues often consumes far more resources than starting afresh. All it takes is a single 3rd party update/fix that's broken and the whole chain collapses. Having options keeps everyone going.

To grow and expand its user base, RL has to make the necessary strategic investments so the idea of being "SME with minimal resources" doesn't help much in the long range view.

Edited
8 Years Ago by pmaina

Reading This Topic