Emergency Blender Question :

Posted By pumeco 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

It's no good, I can't stand it any longer ... does anyone know if they added a way to change the Up-Axis in Blender?

They added a way to use left mouse to select, which is great, but I'm still struggling with that idiotic Z-is-up arrangement.  Is there any way I can change it so that Y is the up axis and the colours of the axis are as follows :

RED=X
GREEN=Y
BLUE=Z

It might not sound like a biggie, but I just cannot get used to the way they have it as default.  It's completely wrong cause in 2D X is always horizontal and Y is always vertical.  Add a third axis to that and you get Z, which should be lateral, not vertical. Vertical was taken by Y long before 3D programs even existed.  The colouring should follow the default RGB too, meaning RGB = XYZ, not RGB=XZY (it even sounds backward).  FFFFFFFFF ... I cannot tell you how irritating it is to have to deal with that all the time, it slows me down like you would not believe, it's so bloody ridiculously I cannot find a word suitable for it.  iClone works like that too.  I don't know where they get these ideas from, it's totally backward, seriously frustrating and clearly wrong.

It's the biggest pain in the arse I face every time I use iClone and it's an even bigger pain in the arse using Blender due to it being a modeler.  I'd enjoy learning it so much better if I wasn't constantly struggling with this idiotic crap every freaking time I move something.  If anyone knows how to change it, pleeeeeeeeease tell me before I go completely insane!

Edited
8 Years Ago by pumeco
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
i have never changed it but if there is a way its under user preferances and just "save user preferances" you can change just about anything in blender never thought about the axis cause its actually fine for 3d .Change to user preferances and click away, but its a 3d program so its got 3 axis not 2 so its actually quite fine the way it is lol.  Just export your model to comply and set the axis then and upon import do the same thing.

Also check you can change to 3dsmax or maya interface conventions if you like.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

just gonna add I think your problem is your not thinking in 3 dimensions so your going to need to get used to that.   When your going to do rigging and animating if you get that far you will need the z axis facing updown or your going to have troubles.     

Anyhow  I present to you 3 screenshots in orthographic view.  The Z axis needs to be somewhere though.  The x,y.z colours are set already to what you ask by the software.  I think your problem is not being used to creating things in a 3D space.   

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/103fb4b6-f413-4dd0-8e0d-6c58.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fb558cc5-1b34-4495-8d26-9710.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1e26e42e-dffb-4cca-b4d3-c101.png

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Cheers urbanlamb, and yup, it seems you can customize absolutely everything in Blender apart from the biggie, the bloody axis!

Since I was 14, maybe 15 years old I've been into design, it was a natural progression from the enjoyment if drawing, and it's pretty much set in stone that X is Horizontal and Y is Vertical.  That's your basic 2D axis system right there, and the same is used even when drawing 3D objects in 2D space.  So when 3D programs came along you needed to represent that third axis, that third axis is obviously going to be Z, not Y.

- The RGB colour system has always been used to represent the three axis, and R is always the first colour, G the second, and B the third (we know it as RGB).
- The axis are derived from the alphabet, and the final letters of the alphabet are in the order XYZ
- X has always been horizontal in 2D
- Y has always been vertical in 2D
- Z is the third axis, not the second.

RGB=XYZ and it always will be unless your program is designed with a backward axis system (like Blender and iClone is).  Neither of them are following the basic axis system correctly.  Every program I've ever used, whether it be 2D or 3D uses the correct system of RGB=XYZ.  The only two programs I have that don't follow this system, are Blender and iClone.  I've been using iClone and Blender for what must be seven, maybe eight years now, and nothing has changed.  I cannot get used to it because it's wrong.  It's like asking me to accept walking upside down on my hands instead of my feet.  I can't (and won't) reprogram my brain to work in a backward fashion just because the people responsible for these mistakes haven't sorted them.  I did request a preferences option for iClone so that we can choose which axis system we prefer, but whether they will add it, I haven't a clue.  Apparently others here have asked for it long ago and quite a few times over the years, but it still hasn't arrived.

As for Blender, the first thing I do every time I download a new version is to check the preferences to see if they added a way to correct the axis, but I've never seen anything, not under any preferences tab.

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

they are using the same colours you posted.   Its 3d and the axis are fine Smile
Its your spacial awareness that is the issue here I hate to say.     The axis indeed are correct and also use the universal colour coding system you speak of.  

Dr. Seuss

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Take your painting off your easel, and lay flat on your desk.

Wink
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
We had a discussion about this some time ago... One clue is the Z buffer, which is related to depth and is always called a Z buffer! Tongue

The again, if you think of coordinates in space, you have latitude (X), longitude (Y), and height (Z) as described here: http://www.oc.nps.edu/oc2902w/coord/llhxyz.htm. I suppose the reasoning here is that the primary coordinates are represented by X and Y, whatever you choose them to be.

Interesting though that Blender uses the same convention as iClone.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Urbanlamb
I think you're misinterpreting the problem slightly.  Sure, they have the colour assignments correct, but that alone should tell you how important "correct" is.

- They've assigned Red to X ... brilliant!
- They've assigned Green to Y ... brilliant!
- They've assigned Blue to Z ... Brilliant!

It's all good in that respect simply because it's correct and in order, meaning RGB=XYZ ... brilliant!

The problem though, is that X is supposed to be horizontal, Y is supposed to be vertical, and Z is supposed to be lateral - but that's not what Blender does though :
- They have assigned Y (which we know is Green) to Lateral
- They have assigned Z (which is Blue) to Vertical

Now lets compare and it will become obvious which is the correct system :
- The right way is 123 ... XYZ ... RGB
- The wrong way is 132 ... XZY ... RGB

As demonstrated, the only part they have right is the use of RGB, the rest is backward.  The web is littered with people complaining about this, believe me I'm not the only one.  Just seach for "Blender Y is up" or other similar terms and you'll see why this backward system is such a pain in the arse for people who are used to using the correct system.  There is no doubt whatsoever that the system they are using is wrong, it's flipped, left-handed or whatever.

@Rampa

LMAO, yeah, either that or maybe superglue myself to the ceiling and spin my head around 180 degrees, sort of exorcist-like WowBigGrin

@Job
I know, typical isn't it, the two 3D programs I use most, both have a backward axis system with no way for people to work the right way (not even as an option) Crazy
It's really maddening ... oh hang on ... I think I feel a moment of madness coming ... please stand clear ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a1a395c-46be-488f-aa0c-90cf.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fed99cf2-aadf-4590-b9d7-671.jpeg

@sw00000p
Trust me I do want to change the axis, the way they have it is wrong!!!
And doing the Import/Export thing is a pain in the arse, shouldn't have to do that Wow

Edited
8 Years Ago by pumeco
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I meant lay your painting flat on your desk. Now which axis is up?

It is based on real-world stuff. Easel vs drafting table.

The grid in Blender's perspective view is your paper.
Edited
8 Years Ago by rampa
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
This same issue sort of freaked me out when I first got exposed to manufacturing coordinate systems.
As someone used to looking at X-Y plots, Y was "up" on the page.
When operating a milling machine, the drawing is on the machining table, so the X-Y plane is parallel to the floor.  Thus "Z" comes "up" out of the drawing.  Z points up from the floor to the ceiling.

As Job said, lay your easel on the floor.

Or more simply... get used to it.  (Sorry.)

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic