Update or Upgrade?

Posted By BaldEagleOne 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
BaldEagleOne
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
In January, I bought CT 8 v8.0. Today, I looked to see what's new and saw there was an upgrade to 8.02. I see there is a patch in my account for my CT8, but I have to uninstall the version for the patch. It's confusing. Am I to buy the upgrade to 8.02? Or do I get the patch,  at no charge? If I get the patch, does it install all of CT8? Initially it took 3 distinct downloads to install it. If I need to download the upgrade, why, after 3  months, do I have to pay another $100? And, nowhere is there information about the updates or upgrades.
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
BaldEagleOne (4/7/2016)
In January, I bought CT 8 v8.0. Today, I looked to see what's new and saw there was an upgrade to 8.02. I see there is a patch in my account for my CT8, but I have to uninstall the version for the patch. It's confusing. Am I to buy the upgrade to 8.02? Or do I get the patch,  at no charge? If I get the patch, does it install all of CT8? Initially it took 3 distinct downloads to install it. If I need to download the upgrade, why, after 3  months, do I have to pay another $100? And, nowhere is there information about the updates or upgrades.

You should not have to uninstall the previous installation, nor do you have to pay for the upgrade. Start the application, go to the Help menu option and there should be a check for updates link.  It should take you to a webpage for the actual patch.  What shows on the page for your account is a full install of 8.02, which you should not need to do.

jlittle
jlittle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If an update shows in your account under a product then it is free.
Installing an patch DOES NOT uninstall the previous version.
Installing the full product DOES require uninstalling the previous version.
Uninstalling a product does not normally remove any of your settings or assets.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
jlittle (4/7/2016)
If an update shows in your account under a product then it is free.
Installing an patch DOES NOT uninstall the previous version.
Installing the full product DOES require uninstalling the previous version.
Uninstalling a product does not normally remove any of your settings or assets.

Jeff

You CAN actually have different versions of the software installed, provided that you only use one version at the time. This is handy, especially when transitioning between versions while working on a specific project.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

jlittle
jlittle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
animagic (4/8/2016)
You CAN actually have different versions of the software installed, provided that you only use one version at the time. This is handy, especially when transitioning between versions while working on a specific project.

Yes, You can have multiple major versions like 3.x, 5.x and 6.x installed at the same time but I don't believe that applies to minor versions, like having 6.3 and 6.4 installed at the same time.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

Reading This Topic