More Functionality Needed

Posted By R2 Studio 8 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
On transitional Time Warps and Timeline Curve:

Instead of just using a slider-only, please also include a numerical value so that it can be fined tuned to the decimal and also be matched to the same value in Time Warp.

Example: my Avatar is running toward stairs.  By default the motion is linear and the actual bone animation is also linear.  As the avatar approaches the stairs, I need them to slow down,
so I go into the timeline and I produce an ease out, but I also need to perform an identical ease out on the running cycle animation-- so I have these sliders and I put tape on the monitor to mark
the position of the TimeWarp slider sot hat the timeline slider matches-- it's insane!  "Move the ball so that it's left edge is right on the edge of the second "S" -- NO!-- how about this: A value of "42.3"

And then I take "42.3" and type it into the other transitional curve.

A slider is nice, but depending on the length of the clip the sensitivity of just moving that ball slider one pixel can make a difference: I'd rather fine tune it with a decimal value, thank you.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
by holding down Cntrl while sel;ecting, you can select mutiple clips/keys. You can click-n-drag a rectangle, or click each one. You''ll get them in sync that way, at least.

The slowing down approaching the stairs may present an additional difficulty in that you need the character taking smaller steps as well. Just slowing might not look right. The animation blending will probably help with that. I have been experimenting with getting the character to blend nicely to a stand as the motion stops. The sometimes tricky part is that the character must translate forward a smaller and smaller distance over time to accomodate the shorter and shorter stride. It may actually be easier with the character attached a path. You can use the same transition curves on constraints in the timeline. The transition curves and time warps do match, so if some of your stuff needs keys, and other stuff is clips, they will adjust the same if you do them all at once.
R2 Studio
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

That's not my finding: if I use an Ease Out transition on the constraint I need to specify an equivalent Time Warp-- they are not the same element, but are related... in other words I can do a steep Ease Out and their walking animation will remain at the same pace unless I match the equivalent with Time Warp... Unless there's another way to get both to warp at the same amount with one control, I have to do it both ways.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

How much do you need them to slow down? Are you attaching the character to a path, or using the R-click Move command?

I'm experimenting with going from walking to standing in a slow transition. It may be that you only need a slight slowdown. Maybe just cut the walking clip a few strides before the stairs and drag it a bit longer? The transition blend might make that suitable. Or maybe drag the transition blend to cover the entire first clip, with a timewarp ease out on the first clip.

I'll post more if I come up with something.
R2 Studio
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I assemble the motions inside of Autodesk Motionbuilder, then import them using 3DExchange as in-place animations.  In iClone 6, I then create a path and use constraint keys with transitional flows such as ease-in, ease-out, ease-in-and-out, and in the case of a biped I match the transitional flows using timewarp.  This results in realistic speed up and slow down of bipedal movement, thing is I have to try different "strengths" of both transitional times (transition and timewarp) and it would be nice to set the transitional, know it's numerical value, then type it into the time warp to match.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I see. Sounds like you got it.

Those curves do need a bit more control. Not only is there no number value indicator, but the slider itself is rather short.
R2 Studio
R2 Studio
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I agree and would do that but I'm currently having a strange issue with FBX from motionbuilder importing into 3DXchange: if a motionbuilder story is 100 frames long, it becomes 200 frames in 3dxchange-- it's not the fbx file itself because if I import it into FBX Viewer, it's 100 frames.  On 3dxchange, I am telling it 30 samples per second and even trying 15 samples per second has no effect on the total number of frames... have you seen this behavior before?  If I can collect the entire clip and then fine tune / rehash it in motionbuilder and bring it back as a whole I would, but right now that means twice as many frames so what gives?

Reading This Topic