This or That :

Posted By pumeco 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Can't help but notice the amount of comments about the PhysX dynamics not being good enough.  And in a more recent thread about pillows, I notice the Bullet example Cricky posted looks way better than what is possible using PhysX.  I don't get it, you've dropped a better system in favour of a worse one.  Bullet is better, more capable, and is open source so it's always going to be developed.  Unlike PhysX, which is less capable and will be obsolete as soon as nVidia says so.  At the moment I'm on 5.5, and to be honest I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of losing a good system like Bullet in favour of a less capable one.  Dynamics and physics are pretty damn important to me and PhysX looks like a very bad idea compared to Bullet (for the reasons pointed out).

Please make Bullet the official dynamics engine for iClone, Bullet will always be there for you (and us), whereas PhysX won't be, and Bullet is clearly better than PhysX anyway.  And even if you don't put back Bullet as the official dynamics engine, at least give us back the controls for it so that those who want to use Bullet, can do so.

The thought of PhysX is very off-putting, I'm totally baffled why RL made that move ErmmSad
Please bring back Bullet, it's the most bestist engine of the two! w00t

Edited
8 Years Ago by pumeco
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
please dont take physX out of iclone please finish work on it.  I dont want bullet physic back modern graphics card use cuda acceleration and are built to handle physX.  Make it an option but please dont remove the physx work done and please instead finish it so we can have physx used in other ways.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

here are two known entities that have adapted to and taken on physX.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/07/08/high-performance-physics-in-unity-5/

Physx is less resource intensive and can do far more and is much superior to bullet physics.  Its just not finished in iclone yet.  Some of the collission stuff they have which is courtesy of physx is very cool.  I dont want to see this gone.   Please dont request removal of such a valuable resource.   Sad

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Hey both, lol, I never requested they remove PhysX, I'm merely wanting them to put back the controls so that we can continue to use Bullet.  As far as I can tell from the conversations on here, iClone6 will run Bullet stuff made in 5.5, but the controls for it have been taken away, I mean WTF, why do that?

No point saying PhysX is better if it had sub-object selection, if iClone doesn't have that ability (which according to sw00000p, it doesn't).  So if I wanted to create a sofa, duvet, or pillows, I can't in iClone6 whereas it worked extremely well in iClone 5.5 with bullet!  The fact that iClone6 can play back the dynamics of Bullet means it's still in there, so please, give us back the controls so that we can actually use the thing properly.  The program is supposed to evolve, but how is that if we can't do now what we could do before?

If PhysX is better, ok then, but what's the point of it if iClone doesn't have that sub-object thingummy to make full use of the features?

Sounds crazy to me, so to clarify then, please either open-up the full power of PhysX, or give us back the controls for Bullet.  Blimey, it's bad enough the physics plugin is no longer said to be working, so not only has the program gone backard on physics, it's done so on dynamics as well unless they do either of the requests pointed out.  I'm not bothered which they chose just as long as the thing evolves.  Evolution means being able to do what you could do before, and more besides - not the opposite Crazy

So have you put in a feature request for that sub-object thingummy, sw00000p?
If not, and it's that important, maybe you should request it and I'll give you a +1 for it w00t

Edited
8 Years Ago by pumeco
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
i recently had a shot that i needed bullet to do in the way i was going for.  so i have to agree i miss having controls with it too.  i ended up changing my scene because i couldn't get the look i wanted.  i do like physx though. too bad we can't have them both at the same time.

Edited
8 Years Ago by planetstardragon
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

pumeco (1/22/2016)

Hey both, lol, I never requested they remove PhysX, I'm merely wanting them to put back the controls so that we can continue to use Bullet.  As far as I can tell from the conversations on here, iClone6 will run Bullet stuff made in 5.5, but the controls for it have been taken away, I mean WTF, why do that?

actually you did which is why I said something.  

pumeco (1/22/2016)

Please make Bullet the official dynamics engine for iClone, Bullet will always be there for you (and us), whereas PhysX won't be, and Bullet is clearly better than PhysX anyway.  And even if you don't put back Bullet as the official dynamics engine, at least give us back the controls for it so that those who want to use Bullet, can do so.

Physx can do everything the bullet engine can do its just "not done yet" Smile

Dr. Seuss

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

i crashed many many times in a row trying to do in physx what took me like 2 minutes to do in bullet. 

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have no issue having both and there are times where i take out an older iclone version right now because the bullet physics is done.  I haven't actually crashed a lot unless its upon animation or rendering and my scene is rather large.    Some of the collission stuff has no overhead whereas with bullet it does not to mention any of the soft cloth we are seeing is courtesy of the physx really which I love.  If we remove physx we might as well say bye bye to iclone6 and go back to 5.5.  I have no problem with people using the older mechanics if they prefer it.  I do however feel iclone should spend less time on this and more time perfecting the newer stuff which will serve us better in the long run.   

People hate change and this is often what is occuring here its different and right now has more bugs then iclone 5.5 did which was very stable but then this will eventually become very stable and then they will release iclone 7 and people will be complaining that iclone 7 is less stable then iclone 6 lol.    

all the while though there is people wanting more modern stuff in the same breath.  Which direction do we want them to go? forwards or backwards.   BigGrin I say forwards.   I can use 5.5 if i want to go backwards 

Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

way too much philosophy for simply exploding a wall lol :p 

we can't lose things that worked. simple.

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I can make an exploding wall in iclone 6.  There is no philosophy here just honesty. 

Dr. Seuss

Reading This Topic