Profile Picture

Problem Creating a non human character from multiple Sub-props iClone 6/3DXchange

Posted By Ascensi 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Problem Creating a non human character from multiple Sub-props iClone...

Author
Ascensi
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I followed this Reallusion tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnlfTLhReMo
The only thing different I have done slightly different is that I've imported an FBX of multiple Zbrush subtools/meshes as Tris, I converted all the parts into sub-props then saved and opened them up in iClone. I then connected each part together for the bone structure hierarchy. I've tried to add the sphere as being the main parent and without the sphere, it seems there is a higher level called RootNode ( don't know if Zbrush adds this in the FBX creation or 3DXchange upon export. Regardless when in 3DXchange the option to press the convert to non-human is greyed out but the option to convert to a non-standard is available. Maybe there is a limit on how many props are allowed to be used to create a character?
Is there something I'm missing? any help would be appreciated
-Kurt

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

sw00000p (1/11/2016)

Are you aware that this video is for converting (iProps) to (iAvatar) = iProp to Non Standard Characters??(Not Non Human)
In your explanation.... nowhere do you mention bones, nor skin. The video clearly shows bone mapping to create a non standard character.
At the (4 minute mark)... the Convert button is used to convert the iProp into a Non Standard Character.

Thanks sw0000p, I may of been asleep at the wheel somewhat. I forgot that this process is for Bipeds only it seems.
I have been working on a custom dragon made out of several sub-props. I haven't yet grasped the character creating concept with iClone 6. When you said the video clearly shows "bone mapping" I wouldn't argue that but I need to get to the part where the bones are actually created from the mesh/sub-props first and it doesn't seem like this method would work with quadrupeds. I've also bought Reallusion's Dragon clone bone system but I need to do more research on bone manipulation and removal if possible just to make them fit and work with my character.

Store Page Link 
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hope this Helps Smile

Thanks, it does help me understand the pivot essentials a bit more. 
So far this is where I'm at and where I got stuck:
- I have aligned the pivots of each mesh within iClone that will have movement -tested them with rotation and they all look good -The parts and pivot alignment has been adjusted to move robotic https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0f738fea-056c-4967-8acd-dbfd.jpg
Each part is a sub-prop so I can assign a variety of Indigo materials.
I have not decided whether to use the dragon clone bone or not because even though I probably could scale the bones and maybe delete a few in another program (to me it's a bit risky because I haven't created a rig before) I question whether I can still use the animations that were designed for the Dragon bone clone bone if I deleted a few bones. 

I recently purchased a small Rigging and animation program for games called akeytsu and I'm currently watching the video tutorials - it easily accepts iClone bones and has a tut explaining a fairly less painful way how to Rig RL bones in a new mesh. I do have Maya on another computer but again I don't have the knowledge/experience rigging a character from scratch -  I've used it mostly for Rendering complex scenes.

What do you think? would the Dragon clone bone system be most appropriate for this model? I didn't want my model to conform to the Dragon clone bone system's overall shape/design since my model is closer to an Asian/Persian dragon- I haven't seen any tutorials on modifying clone bones in iClone or 3rd party to know whether if it would pose problems.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain. 

Store Page Link 

Edited
8 Years Ago by Ascensi
Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (1/12/2016)
Hey Kurt,
Brevity sw00000p Ermm Ok... ummm!Smile
Just a suggestion:

Use Akeytsu to Rig and Animate your models.
 • Create Bones (Skeleton)
 • Heirarchy
 • Skin
 • Pivot Points

Learn Aketsu's Tools and you'll Speed Up Production with smooth animations.
Get Over the Scary Animation part.. and you'll avoid the whole iClone animation (Tedious) fine-tuning process.

Complete every Akeytsu tutorial you can find.
Use iClone to render. Cool

Thanks! good to know NOT to delete bones or otherwise gain useless files -but if it doesn't have animations and some bones are removed could the bones be remapped in 3d ExChange could I still use the animations that came with the original? I understand that the outcome of the animation was meant to originally match the rig and may become a deformed animation if remapping with less bones is possible.  

Yes my model above is basically made out of blocks, it's more like a statue coming to life so I didn't want to have any mesh deformation except for the wings that would include hair-like physics. I'm not sure if I should detach the wing models and assign them to iClone's avatar toolkit wings to attach them to the rigged character later - the controls to animate via mouse looks very appealing.

About originals I always keep them and make revisions/new files/names for every major change Wink 

Store Page Link 

Reading This Topic