Exporting Grimm Skeleton to Unreal Problem

Posted By sterlingy 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Howdy,

When I export the Grimm model and motions to Unreal, the mesh comes in perfectly, but the bones scaling is way off and detached from one another. Any thoughts as to what could be the issue?

All of my other characters export perfectly.

Cheers,

Sterlling

Stick with the flock, end up a lamb chop!

--------------------- GEAR --------------------
MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor
Perception Neuron Mocap (2)

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

Bigboss
Bigboss
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Good afternoon sterling,..

I ported the GRIMM to iClone. I am not sure why you are having this problem on export but I can tell you I scaled the Character exactly 200% in iClone because these DAZ Toon end up being about 50% to scale when repurposed for iClone. What I suggest is you try do the opposite: scale the avatar to exactly 50% in iClone, save it and them try your current pipeline.

I am sure there is a another way but for a quick solution, I assume you can try this and it will confirm whether or not the original scaling is the issue.

Normally, if you bring the character into 3dXchange and then import all the iClone Motions in the perform menu prior to exporting the character as FBX, this should also resolve your issue. 

Cheers.  

Come and visit my store by clicking on the banner below.

https://forum.reallusion.com/Uploads/Images/02c8abe1-c35a-41e0-8640-0789.jpg

Edited
9 Years Ago by Bigboss
sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Do you suggest that I scale the avatar before applying motions, or just scale it before exporting to 3DXchange? Maaybe that doesn't make a difference, I don't know. 3DXchange show him animated perfectly.

-Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost
AMD 2700X 8 Core @ 4.3GHz Asus Astrix RTX 2080Ti 32GB Ram Samsung 21:9 3440x1440 Monitor

Reallusion Pipeline Suite 3D Studio Max Modo 901 Unreal Engine 4 Zbrush Allegorithmic Substance LIVE Adobe CC

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I tried some more exploring. Scaling the avatar down by 50% didn't work for me. You can see the result when brought into Unreal. The funny thing is that it does come in differently. It's almost as if the bones aren't part of the same hierarchy .

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/115a544e-92bd-419e-9520-bd69.jpg

I also exported it for 3DS Max, and this is what I got:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d92e3c62-e21d-4726-9b67-171c.jpg

It's hard to tell from the above image, but thought it just looks like a scaling problem, the mesh seems intact, as it should be, but the upper arms are actually further back than where they should be.

It's a shame that I can't make this work. I had high hopes for this guy. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

~Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost

Sen
Sen
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello

Can you post a screenshoot of 3dx6 export setting ?
Have your try to check reset scale ?

CGTRADER

Bigboss
Bigboss
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (25.8K reputation)

This does look like a bone hierarchy issue Sad  I am not familiar with exporting to Unreal but something gets lost in the process... I will investigate a little further ...  There is definitely a problem. 

Edited
9 Years Ago by Bigboss
Bigboss
Bigboss
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Good Morning Sterlingny,...
I have just uploaded an updated version of the GRIMM.

You should be able to re-download from your inventory and get the new version.
I tested an export in Max and all looks OK now.

Please let me know if the problem is solved for you and I will send a Product Update Notice to all customers.

Cheers...

Bigboss
Bigboss
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Swoop but the problem was in the 3dxProfile I had setup. I believe it is fixed now but awaiting confirmation . Smile

sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It's better, But there is still an issue with the arms:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4f5da972-4660-49a4-8b3c-0ed2.jpg

For some reason, the arms aren't scaling properly when coming into UE. This is why I think it is a hierarchy issue. It's odd, but probably there is a solution. I haven't tried the 3DS Max solution yet.

In case you didn't know, Unreal Engine is free. iClone characters, at least the standard characters, import perfectly. The only issue Is that they come in with a crazy set of bones, so if you apply ragdoll in UE, all hell breaks loose, but strictly using the iClone motions you create works beautifully.

-Sterling

*Edit, I still have the issue when I bring it into Max. Either my export setting aren't correct (I'm using 3DXchange Max settings unchanged) or my version of Max is too old, Max2009. The way things look to me is that the scaling from the shoulders down is not adjusted the same as the rest of the skeleton., hence the hierarchy issue. For me, in bothe Max and UE, the bone skeleton looks fine, but the mesh is a different size. If I turn off the skin modifier in Max, then the mash matches the bones perfectly.

MSI G60 Ghost

Edited
9 Years Ago by sterlingy
sterlingy
sterlingy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've tried both iClone-3DXchange-UE and iClone-3DXchange-Max-UE

My previous experience with the former was smooth sailing, but they were iClone created characters.

Since that didn't work, I threw Max into the pipeline. I'm not very familiar with the Max Skin modifier, but the bones are perfectly weighted when I import the FBX. I really don't want to have to redo all that work. Maybe your method would work without too much effort, but when I see you suggest "Snap-NEW Bones, Zero out Transform" I get nervous. Not sure what that will require. Maybe I just have no idea what you are suggesting. As is often the case, I'm a bit in the dark.

-Sterling

MSI G60 Ghost

Edited
9 Years Ago by sterlingy

Reading This Topic