MOTIONBUILDER TO ICLONE IMPORT PROBLEMS

Posted By toonarama 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
toonarama
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have been busy learning MOTIONBUILDER using LYNDA.COM and feel like I am progressing well except in one very important area. Every time I try and load saved FBX files into 3dxchange5 I get an "Import file error!" message.

I am using 3dxchange5 and MB Educational 2016.

For example the supplied PREVIS animations load up fine in 3dxchange but if I open them in MB and then save them into a different FBX file it no longer loads.

I know it could be an issue with the FBX version but I have seen tutorials using the 2015 version successfully.

Can anyone offer any clues?

Thank you.

Mick
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

I downloaded MB 2015 and this works fine - perhaps 2016 has a later FBX version.

toonarama
toonarama
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks very much for that tip Sw00000p - I'm pretty sure I have a version of 3dx4 on a back-up disc somewhere so I might just give that a go.
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Sw00000p - really appreciate your input.
Can't check at the moment (as I am at work) but I very much doubt that I would have retained version 4.0 or 4.1 - you must have been very astute to retain the old versions!

Happy to just learn MOTIONBUILDER at the moment. It is less daunting than I expected and the LYNDA.COM tutorials are very easy to follow.

Thanks again

Toonarama
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
sw00000p (8/20/2015)
I learned long ago....

Why do I use this OLD version.
...because 3dxchange 4.0 "Import Facial Animation.Wow

Kind Regards,
sw00000p Cool

dude facial morphs replaced facial animation in 3dexchange 5.0 and 6.0 you import them and use the facial puppet as morphs.   Facial animation using bones is actually not a 'thing' anymore morphs are smoother and in 6.0 exchange they are improving the system and they will be even better.  If you are strategic about it and learn how the morphs work you can have an very large variety of expressions.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
sw00000p (8/20/2015)
I love the way Max and MotionBuilder allows for backward compatiblility!Rolleyes
Love saving today's project as.... 2010!w00t

...before you ask:
3ds Max - One Button Push - "Send to MotionBuilder"
One Button Push - "Send to Max"
Save as.... and choose any version dating as far back as 2010.

One Button Push???
I thought you despised "Easy Buttons."

(No need to respond.  I'm just teasing.)

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
CaseClosed
CaseClosed
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
toonarama,

are you able to apply facial animation in MB 2015, then export it as fbx, then import it into iclone 6 thru 3dxchange 6?

thanks!
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

sw00000p (8/20/2015)
[quote]urbanlamb (8/20/2015)

You have no clue as to what your saying!Tongue

Kind Regards,
sw00000p

acutaly I do swoop sorry to contradict your outdated knowledge and advice.  

and yes I have made viseme with facial morphs inside iclone 3dexchange without bones and only a few shapes.   
along with now many dozens of facial animations.  You no longer need facial bones in iclone we have the "custom" button to use now inside iclone.    

There is as they say more then one way to skin a cat and no longer do you need to make that pile of animations using that track and set points in the track bones and fbx 2009.  LOL  I manage to make lots of things using no bones and newer versions of fbx right inside 3dexchange 6 and previously 5.5.   So I do have a clue because I dont have to fall back on old skills and keep outdates software on my list that is slowly becoming incompatible with my pc and operating system.   And tell people to use older formats.  Facial bones are in may ways "old hat" .  So i apologize for correcting you (well no i dont) but whatever Smile.  As we say in Canada Land 'sorry not sorry' 

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (8/20/2015)
urbanlamb (8/20/2015)
sw00000p (8/20/2015)
[quote]urbanlamb (8/20/2015)

You have no clue as to what your saying!Tongue

Kind Regards,
sw00000p

acutaly I do swoop sorry to contradict your outdated knowledge and advice.  

and yes I have made viseme with facial morphs inside iclone 3dexchange without bones and only a few shapes.   
along with now many dozens of facial animations.  You no longer need facial bones in iclone we have the "custom" button to use now inside iclone.    

There is as they say more then one way to skin a cat and no longer do you need to make that pile of animations using that track and set points in the track bones and fbx 2009.  LOL  I manage to make lots of things using no bones and newer versions of fbx right inside 3dexchange 6 and previously 5.5.   So I do have a clue because I dont have to fall back on old skills and keep outdates software on my list that is slowly becoming incompatible with my pc and operating system.   And tell people to use older formats.  Facial bones are in may ways "old hat" .  So i apologize for correcting you (well no i dont) but whatever Smile.  As we say in Canada Land 'sorry not sorry' 

You are missing the Big Picture!

Yes, morphs are easier to use. It requires much less work, but this is what you fail to understand.
You need to create 100's of morphs to achieve what I can do with ONLY creating 4 morphs.
THIS you clearly DON'T GET!

ALSO:
Morph targets "SNAP" from morph to morph.
1. Phonemes blend together smoothly.
2. Blending ALL phonemes to visimes IS WHERE YOUR PROBLEM STARTS.

PROOF!
You MUST use the puppeterring panel.
1. You move your mouse to control VARIOUS movements.
Example: Smile while "Bitting Your Lip" Or Whispering.
1. You MUST DO THIS USING SEVERAL PASSES
I do this in ONE SHOT!

Speed Up Production! Wow

Reallusion finally adds some wonderful functionality and "You Lose Your Mind" with excitement.
Blending Morphs / Blendshape is severly limited.
WAKE UP!

PROVE ME WRONG.
~ Animate a character "Bitting his / her lips, while SMILING with the BROWS Furrowing (Frowning) ~
See how many passes you need to do to accomplish this.
I WILL DO IT IN ONE PASS
DONE.

You are LOST! Crying
HAPPY TWEAKING!Tongue

stop
think
what is this thread about

how to use motionbuilder inside iclone6 using 3dexchange6

dont lead people down the garden path. This thread is not about you or what you know or what you think other people know or dont know its about what parts of motionbuilder are relevant to use today now in a software created by reallussion.  Its not about your opinion about what they are doing or how it sucks.  Its about motionbuilder and iclone6

do not tell people to learn how to do facial animation in motionbuilder for use in iclone6 regardless of what you think about earth the universe and everything because ITS NOT USABLE dont lead them down a garden path of doom and confuse them when they are busy trying to figure out what works IN ICLONE.  

sw00000p (8/20/2015)
CaseClosed (8/20/2015)
toonarama,

are you able to apply facial animation in MB 2015, then export it as fbx, then import it into iclone 6 thru 3dxchange 6?

thanks!

"then import it into iclone 6 thru 3dxchange 6?"
Absolutely NOT!

Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (8/20/2015)
urbanlamb (8/20/2015)
dude facial morphs replaced facial animation in 3dexchange 5.0 and 6.0 you import them and use the facial puppet as morphs.   Facial animation using bones is actually not a 'thing' anymore morphs are smoother and in 6.0 exchange they are improving the system and they will be even better.  If you are strategic about it and learn how the morphs work you can have an very large variety of expressions.   

This is where you "Put your foot in you mouth!"Tongue

Reallusion's Hunter and Crocodile characters PROVE IT!

STOP Telling people "Bone-Based and Morph Blending" is a thing of the past!
THIS IS NOT TRUE.

You know nothing about MotionBuilder, so what's your contribution to this thread other than...
FALSE information????

my feet are firmly on the floor thank you.     Since I have not said any such thing.   We are talking about expressions and importing facial MOPRHS for use in iclone and using the 3dexchange6. and not recording those clips like we used to. or are you using my tutorials as 'all i know' or something? I dont know why you behave this way but the reality is.. once again its misplaced and off topic.   I corrected you before you made Toonarama go learn how to use motionbuilder to import facial clips in 3dexchange4  that is my contribution to this thread.  He now knows that what he needs to learn from motionbuilder is large full body animations and to use other methods to create his stuff for the face since motionbuilder wont do that for iclone. 

and now I am done and you can continue to drag the thread off topic because I am sure he knows what he needs to know now.. 

Dr. Seuss

Edited
9 Years Ago by urbanlamb

Reading This Topic