Profile Picture

Now that I've made extensive tests with IndigoRT and iClone, I firmly believe that IndigoRT..

Posted By GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Now that I've made extensive tests with IndigoRT and iClone, I firmly...

Now that I've made extensive tests with IndigoRT and iClone, I firmly believe that IndigoRT..

Author
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi,

After a few months of IndigoRT testing, It should be interesting to have some iClone users feedback about IndigoRT and its usage combined with iClone.

Please be sincere. You can use multiple choices if you want.

Cheers,
Guy.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 18 minutes ago
I voted, but I was missing some choices. The Indigo renderer never claimed to be a replacement of iClone's native renderer and was never advertised as real-time. The idea was to give another render option.

The main problem to me is not so much the render time involved, but that it is completely impractical for animation, which is still the main purpose of iClone. Except for very simply scenes, the Indigo projects and RAM requirements are so huge that unless you have your own render farm it is just not feasible. This has already been extensively discussed and documented.

Indigo is also unable to make use of some of the efficiencies implemented in iClone, such as trees. I had a scene with quite a number of trees and I had to kill Indigo because it apparently faithfully tried to represent each tree in all its polygonic glory (at least that's what it looked like). That eats RAM very quickly.

Now if you just want to do stills, the story is different. I've seen some very nice renders that really bring out the power of Indigo.

Since I do animation and I'm not really into hyperrealism, but rather the representation of reality in a particular way (like a painting), I have began to appreciate the improvements in iClone's native renderer. I look at it from an artistic perspective: do I like the look. I'm not so much interested in whether it's physically accurate.

I hope RL will do as intended and pursue other render plugins more geared at animation.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

vidi
vidi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
My opinion , RL should learn from DAZ
Iray is a very great Render without limitations and very nice integrated in the DAZ Studio
Nice looking results immediately if you press the render button .
And I already say,  without any  limeitation... . Meshlight,  SSS , render as Movie and so on ...
and all for FREE

I have lost my interest  an Indigo because Iray impress me more. 
I do render my Animation as usual in iClone, but for stills I will use Iray

I wish we would have all  these  like in DAZ

I hope RL will do as intended and pursue other render plugins more geared at animation.         

yes. agree

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
9 Years Ago by vidi
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Agree with Animagic.
I think there should be a poll option : "The indigo plugin is a crude half assed attempt at interfacing with Indigo"
Let me qualify that option -
1) It takes eons to export even a 250 frame animation. 2 hours to "export" the thing to Indigo is ridiculous.
2) Not to mention HD space needed, even before the final images are rendered.
3) A possible bug has not been looked into or fixed, whereby if you use sub-div on your characters, the exporter quits randomly during the export (somewhere around frame 25 or 40 or 80), leaving you stranded with no option but to start from where you left off.
4) If you have the misfortune of encountering the situation in step 3 above, then prepare to manually rename output files, because the naming convention will output, say frame 40 as 0001 not 0040.

Edited
9 Years Ago by cly3d
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I see it as a valiant FIRST EFFORT at integrating with a 3rd-party renderer.
There are still numerous performance and efficiency gains that can be made, and we as a community had a lot to learn too.

One nit-pick... Don't confuse PBR shaders ray tracing.  I see where they can sound similar, but PBR (like what you get from Allegorithmic's Substance Designer and Substance Painter) does not do diffraction and unlimited reflections like Indigo will.  PBR still takes a lot of "shortcuts" to make it possible to render a scene in realtime.

I'll go vote now.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
9 Years Ago by justaviking
GrannyJ
GrannyJ
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I agree with the majority of animagic's post.
I use Indigo for stills, but for rendering animation, Indigo is not a viable solution. Aside from gobbling up system resources & prolonged render times, the bugs just make it intolerable.

iClone Certified Content Developer and Author of the Pinky Frink® Adventure Series & the Pinky Frink® Learning Books
site: Granny J's 3D Attic SKYPE = grannyjsplace email: grannyj@grannyjs3dattic.com
MY RIG: GPU: Dual GeForce GTX 970M | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-5930K @3.50GHz| 32.00 GB RAM | OS: Win 7 Pro SP1 | DX11

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
works great for me,  I'm very happy with it -  granted it's not a tool I'd use for animations unless the project absolutely merits it ( ie - a production gains a significant audience demanding a different / realistic quality ) 

but It makes great single covers for itunes and other music shops
my latest release - http://www.junodownload.com/products/anirhythm-tribal-sexy/2843169-02/

and merchandise -  my latest poster
http://www.zazzle.com/tribal_sexy_poster-228620895928672258

If someone like Pixar suddenly thought I was a hit and gave me a million dollar budget demanding that I use autodesk..... I'd give swoop a few dollars to upgrade my work while I go on vacation and monitor the project by phone -shrug-

JIX
JIX
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I also see it as a first step towards photorealistc rendering, but only for stills at the moment and it obviously has nothing to do with real time rendering. So I couldn´t vote, sorry, cuze this option is missing.
Anyway, it´s an option to get some realistic pix out of iClone, even tho you have to adjust the image detail inside Indigo RT. That really sux and has to be fixed asap!

But the core business of iClone is the real time renderer and RL should focus on that one in first line and maybe improve that engine to achieve better results.

I´m also impressed by IRAY and yes, we got that one for free!

Edited
9 Years Ago by JJJAM
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

sw00000p (7/15/2015)
planetstardragon (7/15/2015)
If someone like Pixar suddenly thought I was a hit and gave me a million dollar budget demanding that I use autodesk.....

Pixar is impressed with professional work.
To become impressed by you...When pigs fly. Tongue

i guess you don't want to hear that i've worked for warner bros before eh ? -laugh- Kiss

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

rofl!!!  hahaha! and that's why i love you so much BigGrin

Reading This Topic