Posted By toonarama 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Creating DAZ DUF files to save expressions - can it be done

Author
toonarama
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello there

I have successfully managed to export a Toon Generation character with facial expressions from DAZ to 3dxchange and edit all the expressions to how I want them.

I saved the character in DAZ into a DUF file so I can reload it.

I also saved the profile in 3dxchange so I could reload that too.

What I was hoping is that I could create my own DUF file which allows me to save the expressions so that I could apply them to other Toon Generation characters in the same way that the Genesis DUF file works.

The DUF file I have created already includes everything so if I drag into onto the new character I get the old character too.

Does anybody know how I create the DUF file with just the expression data in it?

Thank you

Mick

qdai
qdai
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Good question, a duf file with only the facial morphs and no other character information?
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Sorted

I created my new character then dragged the DUF file on to his head and then baked the frames and this worked!

qdai
qdai
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

"Baked" the frames, how?
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sorry I was wrong - it didn't work as both characters were there
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you RC on the Animate background and select "Bake to Studio Keyframes"
starfugger
starfugger
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)Veteran Member (817 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
hi toonarama, i'm trying to do the same thing, but having a really hard time getting it to work as i dont have the table used in the tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPq8euZWmkQ

also, although my hands and fingers were mapped, they are not animated in the motion puppeteering, only in motion editor. is this normal?
toonarama
toonarama
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Starfugger

I am not sure the table will help. I do have it and within Daz I assigned all the expressions to the "correct frames" as defined by the table but when I loaded it into 3dxchange I still had to manually link the iclone expressions with the DAZ expressions and even though some of the expressions I created in DAZ were "mixed expressions" (ie using more than one) the ones available in 3dxchange were the "base" ones.

Somebody else mentioned that they were having problems in DAZ with expressions affecting others in adjacent frames but i am beginning to think this is irrelevant as it is the base expressions that seem to get exported anyway.

I will not have any time to do any further testing for a couple of days but will report back when I do.

toonarama
toonarama
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I posted a query on the DAZ Forum and this was the reply:

File -> Save As -> Pose Preset. Select a filename and then ensure you only select the face when the dialog box shows up. This will ensure that only the expression is saved rather than the figure’s entire body pose.

qdai
qdai
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

toonarama (4/10/2013)
Hello there

I have successfully managed to export a Toon Generation character with facial expressions from DAZ to 3dxchange and edit all the expressions to how I want them.

I saved the character in DAZ into a DUF file so I can reload it.

I alsosaved the profile in 3dxchange so I could reload that too.

What I was hoping is that I could create my own DUF file which allows me to save the expressions so that I could apply them to other Toon Generation characters in the same way that the Genesis DUF file works.

The DUF file I have created already includes everything so if I drag into onto the new character I get the old character too.

Does anybody know how I create the DUF file with just the expression data in it?

Thank you

Mick

Ok, did a little research b/c this seemed like a good thing to know. There is a way to save a .duf file with only morph animations and no character presets.

Save As> Properties Presets
Properties Preset Save Options Dialog
Animated Range selected
Include shaping selected
Properties > Deselect Base Figure (should deselect everything),
then reselect ONLY Morphs> Imported > Head

Once you have saved out this Properties Preset .DUF you can drag it on to the head of your other Toon Generations characters to add morph animations to the timeline without affecting their other properties.

The Shaping and Pose Presets options seem to offer the same function, so not quite sure what the differences b/t the Properties, Shaping and Pose Presets are. Hope this works for you.

Edited
11 Years Ago by qdai

Reading This Topic